Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Judicious Mr. Hooker

Over on HOBD, Michael Russell has announced the publication of the first of four volumes of a "new edition" of The Works of Richard Hooker. Michael is the author of Hooker's Blueprint, "which is essentially a Cliff Notes of the Laws [of Ecclesiastical Polity.] " The new edition includes the text of the Keble's 1836 edition of Hooker, as well as the Blueprint. Volume I can be ordered at CreateSpace.

Just the other day, I said to my slef that I ought to check and see if I could find a cheap copy of volume II of the Everyman's Library edition of the Laws at one the internet booksellers. It just seemed to me that I might be successful, and in fact I was. As it turned out, it was cheaper to order both volumes than just volume II (I got it for under $15, including shipping.) The Everyman's Library edition also uses the Keble text and notes. Here at Heart Lake, I have three volume copy of the third editon of Keble's Hooker, dated 1855, and inscribed to "Frederick Whiting, with W. Wayte's best wishes, on his leaving Eton. December, 1853. " The leather-looking bindings are in bad shape, but the text itself looks pristine. I doubt Frederick gave it much use.

At home I have a two volume edition of Keble's Hooker, in a similar condition, but I'll have to wait until I get home to identify it more clearly. I also have volume one of the Everyman's Library edition. I have wanted volume two for a long time, because it is a very easy way to read Book V of the Laws, which is the most fun. Now I'll have it.

I also have a copy of Michael's Blueprint, which I ordered because it was recommended to me by Grandmere Mimi, to whom it was recommended in turn by Tobias Haller.

No comments: