Monday, June 16, 2008

The Political Compass

The Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72



Thanks to Tobias (and ultimately to Mimi) I discovered The Political Compass.
I took the test and found myself way down towards the corner in the third quadrant.

Over at Mimi's, I found that I was in the company of johnnieb and pj, both of whom were at the MadPriest gathering last fall. Most of the folks were in the same quadrant, but rather closer to the origin (center.)

This was my introduction to the two-dimensional Cartesian approach to political analysis, and I am impressed by the approach. Unlike most of the tests found on websites, this one is non-trivial.

There's darn little information on the website to identify the originators -- which I think is a shame -- and also nothing to clearly identify how the center is defined. The website has a reading list of writers in each of the four quadrants -- I would like to know where each of the writers falls on the graph.

In my local situation (Morningside Gardens, my housing coop,) I am involved in governance, and thus in a political situation. I am keenly aware of the distinction between the desirable and the achievable -- and probably few of my acquaintances know just how far to the bottom left I am.

1 comment:

Progressive Pinhead said...

After taking the test I was trying to find out some of the same things you were wondering and stumbled across your blog. It looks like we landed in almost the same spot. You should read Let Me Stand Alone, it wasn't on the reading list of the anti-authoritarian left, but it should be. It was an excellent book both for its brilliant political commentary and compelling personal story. It is one of the best books I have ever read.